Earning Points in District Auditions
- All students earn points for participating that accumulate year to year. The rubric for points is found under “Guidelines and Rubric” here.
- Students earn between 0-5 points for each piece performed.
- Students in D2-Non Memorized Track earn between 0-4 points for each piece performed.
- Students earn up to 5 points for the Music Theory Test, based on their score.
- 5 points (90-100%)
- 4 points (80-89%)
- 3 points (70-79%)
- 2 points (60-69%)
- 1 point (50-59%)
- Students participating on different instruments will earn points in each area; these are not combined.
- All points earned for the same instrument will be combined. (Ex: piano solo and piano duet).
- Points earned from the WMTA Young Composer Festival will be incorporated into students’ cumulative points total.
Earning Points in Regional Keyboard and State Vocal/Instrumental and Ensemble Competitions
- Students earn points for participating that accumulate year to year, and are combined with any District Audition points earned from the same instrument.
- 10 points for participating
- 5 points (additional) for Winners
- 4 points (additional) for Runners-up
- 3 points (additional) for Honorable Mentions
Earning Points in State Keyboard Competition
- Participating students earn points that accumulate year to year, and are combined with any District Audition points, and any Regional Keyboard Competition points
- 10 points for participating students
- 5 additional points for Winner at each division/grade level
- No designation for Runner Up or Honorable Mention
- Students can earn awards by accumulating points earned from participation in both the District Auditions, Regional Keyboard Competitions, State Vocal/Instrumental and Ensemble Competition and State Keyboard Competition.
- After a student has earned 22 points, he/she will receive a WMTA plaque, to which can be added:
- A 50-point gold bar
- A 75-point gold bar
- After a student has earned 100 points, he/she will receive another plaque, to which can be added:
- Subsequent gold bars earned in 25-point increments
Teacher Award of Excellence
Inspirational and skilled educators can help children envision bright futures and realize great accomplishments. The WMTA Teacher Award of Excellence recognizes and promotes excellence in music teaching in our state by an individual member. These recipients demonstrate a record of outstanding accomplishments by their students in WMTA auditions and competitions and proven high standards of teaching in their studio.
The WMTA Teacher Award of Excellence awards are presented to teachers based on awards received by students in WMTA auditions.
- One point is given to the teacher for each plaque or bar their students earn through WMTA.
- An award certificate is earned at the following milestones: 10, 50, and 75 points.
- A plaque is earned at 100 points
- Bars are earned in 25-point increments following the plaque.
To receive any of these awards, the teacher should submit a list of students and the awards they have won to the Teacher Award of Excellence Chair.
Submitting Points for Awards
To receive any of these awards, the teacher should submit a list of students and the awards they have won to the Teacher Award of Excellence Chair. Please view this page to find the name and contact information for the individual currently serving in this position.
Click HERE to view an example of awarded bars and plaques.